This week’s episode is somewhat of a continuation of Episode 89 where I reflected on the role of Lent in helping us process pain and suffering, and as a time to work through trauma. That is, Lent is a period of remembering that is important for us if we are to work through our suffering.
In this week’s episode I discuss some ways that communities can create a safe space during Lent to process pain and suffering. In this episode I discuss:
- Making it safe to discuss the hard issues such as death, suicide, anxiety, depression, loss, etc.
- The importance of not giving easy answers (if any at all) to people’s pain and suffering.
- Learning to sit in in one’s pain, in silence, together.
- The role of rituals and symbolism in the healing process.
- The boundary between bearing other’s burdens, but also giving them the space to work through their own “stuff.”