There are lots of good books on marriage, but I want to mention just six of them here that I highly recommend. And in recommending them, let me just give one brief statement of why I like them.
- I love Wangerin’s approach in talking about marriage here. He doesn’t write about steps to follow, but really approaches the topic from a real narrative standpoint, sharing story after story that the reader can enter into and relate to about marriage.
- Johnson is the pioneer of “emotionally focused (couple’s) therapy. And this is an important book on this topic that is very accessible for couple’s to read.
- Schnarch’s discussion on “differentiation” is very valuable. I love his insight.
- His first chapter on how marriage is about “holiness and not happiness” is paradigm shifting in most of our views. It was mine.
- This is my favorite book on marriage. Not steps, just a deep, philosophical and theological look at marriage that is quite refreshing.
- I mentioned this book last week, but it’s a great book with some very practical tips and exercises for couples.
What books would you add to this list and why?