Scot McKnight has a good blurb about Dan Kimball’s new book They Like Jesus but Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations. Scot summarizes some of Dan’s thoughts after Dan decided to get out of his office and stop hanging out with Christians all week. Here are some of his observations that he wrestles with in his new book:
1. The church is an organized religion with a political agenda.
2. The church is judgmental and negative.
3. The church is dominated by males and oppresses females.
4. The church is homophobic.
5. The church arrogantly claims all other religions are wrong.
6. The church is full of fundamentalists who take the whole Bible literally.
One of the things that I love most about college ministry is going to their campuses and hanging out with them at coffee or whatever. Students rarely, if ever come to hang out at church (especially since ours is off the beaten path) so it is necessary to go to their turf. There are things I learn that I would never have a clue about if I was hanging out with them in my office.