- on February 23, 2017
Rhett Smith 86: Navigating the Chaotic Path to Affair Recovery
If I had to take a guess, I would guess that at least 50-60% of every couple that I work with is in my office because of an affair. Affairs come in varied forms from the physical to the emotional and everything in between. And affairs don’t discriminate based on gender, race, or age. In fact, it’s often the person or couple that you expect least likely to have to deal with an affair, is the couple dealing with the affair.
My experience is that most everyone goes into marriage with the intention to stay faithful in the relationship, so it will often come to a surprise to a spouse, or the couple’s friends when words gets out that an affair has taken place.
In this episode I share my experience in working with couples as they navigate the affair recovery process. And because one of my specialties is marriage counseling, it’s not surprising then that a lot of the couples I work with are dealing with affairs.
I think there are some general principles as one begins to work to recover and heal from an affair, but the process can often be chaotic, and each couple needs different things. So in this episode I try and distill some of the most common steps I take with couples.
In this episode you will:
- learn about the importance of creating stability in the relationship to begin the work of affair recovery.
- learn about the importance of addressing the affair, rather than sweeping it under the rug.
- learn about the process of salvage and restoration in the forgiveness process.
- hear examples of how this work is done.
- learn about a few book resources to help you on this journey.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode