- on September 9, 2015
Rhett Smith Podcast 24: How Technology Shapes Us, Informs our Identity, and Some Boundaries We Can Implement as We Use It
I love technology. It has absolutely shaped my life in some amazing ways in the last 12 years especially. Technology can encompass all kinds of things, but the technology I’m primarily speaking about here have to do with computers, cell phones and social media. In fact, there was a season of my life for about 7-8 years where I spoke quite frequently on the role of technology in our lives, specifically the impact it can have not only on us, but in our relationships. Though I don’t go out and speak on technology as often these days, it’s still something that I talk about everyday in my work with my clients and in my personal relationships.
In this episode I wanted to briefly explore 3 aspects of technology that I think are really important. These three aspects are constant and never changing which is an important distinction in the world of technology which feels like it’s always changing. The three aspects are:
- technology shapes us
- technology informs our identity
- technology needs boundaries as we use it
I think that if someone grasps these three components of technology, then they can successfully navigate the world of technology in some healthy ways.
So in this episode I explore:
- the importance of thinking about technology and the impact is has on us as we use it.
- the idea that technology is not neutral.
- the metaphor of a shovel in describing technology as a tool that shapes us.
- the idea that technology often is a tool that mediates our relationships.
- the metaphor of a mirror in describing how technology informs our identity.
- the idea that technology needs boundaries in our use of it.
- the metaphor of a tray/basket in describing how technology needs boundaries.
- ways that people can immediately go out and engage in some healthy practices and boundaries in their technology use.
Please listen and subscribe to my podcast in the following places, and then leave a comment letting me know what you liked about the show, or what guest you would like to hear from. Thank you so much for your support.
Resources and Links Mentioned in the Episode