Thanks Bel Air for a Great 7 Years…

It was about six months ago when I announced my resignation to the staff and students at Bel Air Presbyterian Church and The Quest, and now the day has finally arrived. I’m sitting at my desk for the last time as the college director and it’s a bittersweet feeling. I’m super excited about the next step in the journey for my family and I, but I am also leaving behind a lot of great friendships, and a work place that was as much family as it was co-workers.

So I just want to thank all the students and staff who have really made an impact on my life the last seven years. The students I came across where as much an influence in my life as I was in theirs, and I’m thankful for that.

My family and I are preparing for a move to Dallas, TX (hopefully by mid-summer; I know, bad time to leave the beaches and head to TX), and we are excited about the new opportunities that await us. It’s definitely a new adventure for us, and we are particularly happy about moving closer to family, as well as living in a more affordable city that will helpfully allow us to keep our priorities organized, work schedules, etc. in a manner that keeps family first.

As some of you know I will be working full-time at the Pastoral Counseling Education Center in Dallas, pursuing my state licensure for Marriage and Family Therapy, which is something I have been wanting to do for a while. I love the intersection of marriage, family, theology, pastoral counseling, etc, and this should be a good place to do that.

I will also be working at a church part-time in Dallas, working in the area of social media and ministry, which is something I am super, super excited about. I will fill you in on more details about this later as my job description gets cemented.

And last, I hope to continue to connect with a lot of ministry tech people out there which I have already been doing, because I’m passionate about the blend of new social technology in the Church. And Dallas seems to be a great place to do this.

Please keep us in your prayers during this time. And I hope that before we leave town we can get together and hang out.

1. by Chum on June 13, 2008  5:13 pm Reply

Rhett, best wished and God bless in your future endeavors. Looking forward to meeting with you soon to catch up and talking about mobile tech, social media, and their intersection with ministry.

2. by Chum on June 13, 2008  5:13 pm Reply

3. by Lars Rood on June 13, 2008  5:57 pm Reply

Rhett- Like I told you earlier today I remember the first time I drove up to Bel Air to interview. My 6 years there were some of the best formation times for me. I know having been there when you started that it was the same for you. The lives you've impacted are huge. You probably don't even know the ramifications of your call there yet. Thank you for being an amazing college director and good friend. They (we) were lucky to have you at Bel Air. As you drive away from both the church and the city know that God 's plan for you both included Bel Air but also continues much further.

Get here to Texas and we'll miss the beach together, get involved in more online stuff and pray that God uses us to impact the Church in great ways.

4. by Lars Rood on June 13, 2008  5:57 pm Reply

5. by Andrew on June 16, 2008  9:15 am Reply

Rhett,
    Not only Bel Air but your greater LA community will miss you. Keep being faithful to God's call on your life in family and ministry (in that order)! Texas is very, very lucky to be getting the three of you.

6. by Brad A. Greenberg on June 16, 2008  5:27 pm Reply

Thank you, Rhett. Headlines won't ever be the same without you.

7. by Matt Singley on June 19, 2008  12:19 pm Reply

Bro, I am going to miss having you in LA even though we've never really found our groove for hanging out. Busy lives, families and geography have kept us from hanging too much, but I'll still miss you.

I think parts of ministry at the church are going to be pretty well screwed without you there. What a major mistake to let you slip off to Dallas. Strategic Myopia.

But I celebrate the victory of your new employer! w00t!

8. by Rhett on June 22, 2008  4:05 pm Reply

Hey everyone. Thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate them.

I look forward to our friendships in a new context and hopefully doing ministry with some of you.

I know some exciting stuff is going to be happening with us all.